Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Best Cornbread in the World

I know that is a supercilious name. I have no idea if it's even true. It's the name on the recipe as I received it. I have, however, tried several cornbread recipes and while most of them are just fine, this one is a little more so. It just has that little extra something that makes it taste better. It also bakes up pretty tall, not wussy like some other cornbread recipes that come out an inch tall. I would like someday to try and double this and put it in a 9x13 pan because as I said yesterday my kids really really like cornbread and we never have leftovers. My son especially loves to come home from school and eat leftover cornbread if possible. If you don't have buttermilk (I never do, okay rarely do) you can substitute with soured (or clabbered) milk. Do not put your milk out until it gets sour, instead put one tablespoon of vinegar in a 1 cup measure and fill with milk; let sit for 5 minutes. Do not use buttermilk powder, I can't seem to get that to work. ENJOY!
Best Cornbread in the World
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Yield: 9 servings

Ingredients:
½ c. margarine, softened
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
½ t. soda
½ t. salt
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 c. flour
Directions: Blend margarine, sugar, eggs and buttermilk. Add soda, salt, cornmeal and flour. Mix well. Pour into a greased 9x9-inch pan and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes.


This recipe was originally found by me in a church cookbook.


0 comments:

Post a Comment