Monday, February 13, 2012

Cherry Berry Streusel Pie

I have wanted to make this pie for awhile and I finally got to it on Sunday. My son gave this two thumbs “way past up.” My kids are usually not big fans of pie, but they gobbled this up and when given the choice between cookies and pie, the two older ones chose pie. I was shocked because my cookies were pretty good too. A couple of notes on this recipe. It calls for a deep dish pie plate, which I didn't notice until I was too far into it to turn back. I simply didn't put as much filling in and it was still great. Second, if you aren't comfortable with making a lattice-top I am not sure it's necessary. I think next time I'll try it with just the streusel on top and cut the pie crust in half. It looked pretty though, until I tried to cut into it and it all fell apart. I also didn't find it necessary to chill the dough. It was really easy to work with. You can toast your pecans in a frying pan on the stove, just keep an eye on them, they toast quickly. Lastly, don't forget to put a pan on the rack under your pie while it's baking to catch any spills. Serve with a lovely scoop of vanilla ice cream. Let me know if you like it too! By the way, my pie was pretty but it didn't look anything like the picture below.  That's amazing, although maybe easier than lattice top. 
Cherry-Berry Streusel Pie
Cherry-Berry Streusel Pie RecipePrep Time: 30 minutes + chilling
Cook Time: 55-65 minutes
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
2½ c. all-purpose flour
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 c. cold butter
7-8 T. cold water

FILLING:
2 can (21 oz. Each) cherry pie filling
1 c. fresh or frozen raspberries
¼ c. packed brown sugar
¼ t. ground cinnamon

TOPPING:
1 c. yellow cake mix
½ c. chopped pecans, toasted
½ c. flaked coconut
¼ c. butter, melted
2 T. 2% milk
2 T. sugar

Directions: Place the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; cover and pulse until blended. Add butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball.

Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. Deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim pastry to ½ inch beyond edge of plate. Combine the filling ingredients; spoon into crust. Sprinkle with dry cake mix, pecans and coconut. Drizzle with butter.

Roll out remaining pastry to a 13-inch circle; cut into strips for a lattice top. While creating the lattice top, twist the pastry strips for a decorative effect. Seal and flute edges of pie.

Brush lattice top with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.


The recipe and photo are originally from tasteofhome.com and Taste of Home magazine

0 comments:

Post a Comment