Friday, September 30, 2011

Pasta with Chicken and Zucchini and Squash

This dish has a long name I know, but it’s how it was given to me and I haven’t come up with a better name.  This is a great way to use up some of that zucchini that I know is overflowing on your counter.  I hardly ever have summer squash, so I just double the amount of zucchini.  This is a lovely dish that makes quite a lot so it’s good for when you have company.   I got this recipe from a woman at church, although I can’t remember for sure which one.   Serve with a nice green salad and a crusty bread for some different textures.

Pasta with Chicken and Zucchini and Squash
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Family Friendliness: I give it about 4 out of 5.  My girls love it.  The boy doesn’t like cheese so he kind of sticks his nose up at it.  But the rest of us like it.
Ingredients:
1 pkg. (16 oz.) spiral pasta (I usually use mostaccioli, use whatever you like)
2 c. whipping cream  (I have used half and half before and it was still tasty)
1 T. butter or margarine
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
5 T. olive or vegetable oil, divided
2 medium zucchini, julienned
2 medium yellow summer squash, julienned
1¼ t. salt, divided and to taste
1/8 t. pepper
1 lb. boneless skinless breasts, julienned
¼ t. EACH dried basil, marjoram, and savory (I have yet to find savory in the grocery store so I omit this)
¼ t. dried rosemary, crushed
1/8 t. rubbed sage
Directions: Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, heat cream and butter in a large saucepan until butter melts.  Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.  Rinse and drain pasta; add to cheese mixture.  Cover and keep warm.  In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in 3 T. oil until onion is tender.  Add squash; cook until tender.  Add 1 t. of salt and pepper; remove and keep warm.  Add remaining oil to skillet; cook chicken with herbs and remaining salt until juices run clear.  Place pasta on a serving platter; top with chicken and squash.    

0 comments:

Post a Comment