Thursday, September 29, 2011

Warm Pear Compote

This is love in an ice cream dish.  I wait all year to have my ice cream drowned in this gooey sauce.  I have to admit that I almost always lick my bowl clean, except of course if the children are watching.  This recipe is one my Mom started making when I was in high school.  It doesn’t make a lot, so if you’re serving more than 4 people, or if you just love it like I do, you might want to double it.  Again, you might want to plan on a few extra pears to get you your 3½ cups.

 Vanilla Ice Cream with Warm Pear Compote
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
3 medium-size pears, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced, about 3 ½ cups
½ cup sugar
¼ cup apple juice
¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
¼ teaspoon vanilla
vanilla ice cream
Directions: In 10-in. skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter; add pears; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring gently until crisp-tender.  Add sugar and cider; bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until pears are tender and coated with syrup.  Remove from heat; stir in spice and vanilla. Cool slightly. Serve over vanilla ice cream


0 comments:

Post a Comment