Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rainbow Chicken

Lazlo’s Inspired Rainbow Chicken
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 4 hours (although I’ve cheated and only done it for 2)
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Family Friendliness: It is a hit with all of my kids, as long as I leave the cheese off of the boy’s piece. Kids like to dip things.

In my hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska there is a restaurant called Lazlo’s. It’s a steakhouse but I never go there for the steaks. It’s not because their steaks are fabulous, it’s just I love one dish there the most and I never get anything else. Rainbow Chicken. My mouth waters for it now that I live hundreds of miles away from Lazlo’s. Every time I go to visit home I must go and get Rainbow Chicken. In an effort to curb the cravings in between visits I sort of pieced together this recipe. It’s a pretty good imitation. It’s beautiful on your plate and it’s so succulent. Serve it with French fries, or a loaded baked potato, and a steamed vegetable (I like broccoli). If you’re tempted to skip the honey mustard sauce, don’t do it. It really is what makes this so very yummy. As an added bonus you can dip your broccoli and French fries in it too.
Ingredients:
Marinade:
½ c. sugar
½ c. water
½ c. soy sauce
1/8 c. pineapple juice (I used vinegar instead last night and I couldn’t really tell the difference)
1/8 c. vegetable oil
½ t. garlic powder
½ t. ground ginger
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Toppings:
4 slices of Monterey Jack cheese
Shredded cheddar cheese about a ¼ of a cup
1 roma tomato, diced
1 green onion, chopped (including the greens)
Honey Mustard Sauce:
½ c. mayonnaise
2 T. mustard
1 T. sugar
1½ T. honey
In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients for marinade except chicken; reserve 2/3 c. for basting; cover and refrigerate. In a large resealable plastic bag or shallow dish, place the chicken and remaining marinade. Seal bag or cover dish making sure the chicken is coated; refrigerate for 4 hours. Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Baste with reserved marinade. Grill 3-4 minutes longer on each side or until juices run clear, basting several times. Just before taking off the grill top each chicken breast with a slice of Monterey jack cheese. Remove from grill to platter and top with cheddar cheese, tomato, and green onion. For honey mustard sauce mix all ingredients in a small bowl, serve as a dipping sauce for chicken. (I found the recipe for the marinade in Taste of Home’s “Backyard Grilling Cookbook” published in 2006, it’s called Marinated Chicken Breasts and the honey mustard recipe off of Cooks.com)

4 comments:

Jolynn said...

I just tried this and the family love, love, loved it!! Thanks for all of the new ideas. I.m excited to try some new dishes!!! Keep them coming.

Jolynn said...

Hi Stacey, that last comment was from me Jolynn:)

Nikki said...

I got rave reviews on this! I made it for my family while my inlaws were in town. EVERYONE loved it. I left the cheese off some for 1 picky boy. We all loved the dipping sauce, too. Thanks Stacey!

Kaye said...

YEAH!!! I am so glad I googled Lazlo's Creamy Ranch Sauce . . . and then also found my 2nd fav thing from Lazlo's in Lincoln NE . . .can't wait to try it . .

Post a Comment