Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Caramel Rhubarb 'n Dumplings

I love rhubarb.  I know that some people have a definite dislike for rhubarb, and I have come to accept that I cannot convert all people to be rhubarb fans.  But I've successfully converted a couple and I am on a mission this week to turn a few more.  Rhubarb is horrible when picked from the ground, washed off and eaten raw.  It is sour in the worst way.  However, cooked in a variety of ways, rhubarb is scrumptious.  Rhubarb can be used in desserts, soups, drinks, sauces, and main dishes.  And you can use it all spring and summer long as long as you don't let it go to seed in the spring.  Lovers of rhubarb unite!

So in honor of my love for rhubarb I am going to be sharing my favorite rhubarb recipes, and by no means will I get through my whole collection of rhubarb recipes.  However, it might get you thinking and maybe even dreaming of new ways you can use rhubarb.  We begin with caramel rhubarb 'n dumplings.  My mom started making this when I was in high school.  It's quick, easy, involves caramel and uses the microwave instead of your oven which is perfect for when it is 100 degrees outside.  A scoop or two of vanilla ice cream is a perfect complement to this sweet tart dessert.  I don't know the original source of this recipe, I got it from my mom.  I'll have to take a picture the next time I make it. I hope you love it as much I as I do.  Check back tomorrow for rhubarb slush.


Caramel Rhubarb ‘N Dumplings

¾ c. packed brown sugar                                        ¼ c. sugar

¼ c. sugar                                                                  1 ½ t. baking powder

3 T. cornstarch                                                          ¼ c.margarine or butter

3 T. margarine or butter                                          1/3 c. milk

3 c. sliced rhubarb                                                    2 t. sugar

1¼ cup flour                                                             cinnamon

Directions: In a 2 quart microwave-safe casserole, combine 1 ¼ cups water, the brown sugar, the first ¼ cup sugar, cornstarch, and the 3 tablespoons margarine or butter. Add the sliced rhubarb. Micro-cook uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 7 to 9 minutes or till mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring every minute. Cover casserole to keep warm. In a bowl, combine flour, remaining ¼ cup sugar, baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt. In a custard cup micro-cook the remaining margarine about 40 seconds or till melted; add to dry ingredients along with milk. Mix just till blended. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto hot rhubarb mixture. Cover with waxed paper; cook 5 to 6 minutes, on high, or till dumplings are done, giving the dish a half-turn once. Stir together the 2 teaspoons sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dumplings. Serve warm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment