Friday, December 16, 2011

Broccoli Chowder

I love broccoli cheese soups.  Any time soup is on the menu I’ll either go for the cheesy broccoli or baked potato.  However, often times it seemed they were either too cheesy with no other flavor, or they were way too salty.  So I was on a search for one that I could love.  My mother supplied this recipe to me a little while ago and it’s just right.  I love the little splash of Worcestershire sauce as it gives it the rounded out flavor I was looking for.  As an added bonus it is chock full of vegetables.  And guess what, my kids love this soup.  I don’t put in as much pepper when I am serving it to children because it can be a little strong.  I love that I can use 1% milk and the soup is still really creamy.  Just be careful after you add the milk.  You can’t leave it for long or it will burn.  Don’t forget to let me know if you like it!  Enjoy!


Broccoli Chowder
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
 
Ingredients:
4 c. fresh small broccoli florets (I substitute frozen all the time and it’s still very good)
2 med. Potatoes, diced
1½ c. water or chicken broth
2 t. chicken bouillon granules (if you use chicken broth you can omit this ingredient)
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 large onion, chopped (or less)
1 celery rib, finely chopped
4 c. milk, divided
½ t. – 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
¾ t. salt (If I use bouillon I cut this down to ½ t.)
½ t. pepper
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
Directions: In a large saucepan, combine the first 7 ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Add 3 cups milk and the bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.  In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from the heat; stir in cheese just until melted.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment