Friday, December 30, 2011

Company Salad

My mother found this recipe a few years ago and it quickly became a favorite in our house.  I make it several times a year and usually have the ingredients on hand so that I can make it whenever I want.  We use a store bought poppy seed dressing (Brianna's, which you should be able to find just about anywhere, like Wal-Mart), but you're welcome to make your own.  This needs to be the last thing you put together when you're getting dinner ready, or least don't put the apples or dressing on until right before dinner is served or it will go limp.  Take it easy on the dressing, a little goes a long way, and you can always add a little more later if you think it needs it.  There are days when I want a milder flavor so I leave out the red onion.  I have never put mushrooms in it because I don't like them, but whatever floats your boat.  Enjoy!

Company Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield:  A lot, although I've never measured the number of servings.  I usually half this recipe if I am feeding 6 or fewer.

Ingredients:
1 small package salad mix
1 small package greens mix
2 c. Granny Smith apples, chopped (I usually use whatever apples I have on hand)
1 c. craisins
1/3 c. sunflower seeds
1 purple onion, sliced
6 mushrooms, sliced (opt.)
Poppy Seed Dressing (I use Brianna's white poppy seed dressing, yum)
Directions: Mix greens together.  Add apples and onions and half of the craisins and sunflower seeds.  Pour about 1/2 of a bottle of Brianna's Poppy Seed dressing on top and mix well.  Add the rest of the craisins and sunflower seeds and drizzle more dressing over the top to make it look nice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment