Thursday, November 3, 2011

Apple Cider Beef Stew

So this is one of my favorite foods of all time.  My mother started making this when I was in high school and it was so good to come home to the aroma of this stew.  The mixture of cider and thyme is heavenly.  My son says this is his favorite stew so that's high praise indeed.  It does take awhile to cook so you have to start early, but then, hey, dinner is practically done by 4 pm.  I think you're going to like it.  If you don't have cider, just use apple juice.  I've started having to double this recipe, except I don't double the meat and it works out great.  Enjoy!

Cider Beef Stew
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Yield: 4 servings
Family Friendliness: The boy loves it, the girls like to pick the veggies out, so I am good. 

Ingredients:
3 T. flour
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 T. cooking oil
1 c. apple cider
½ c. water
1 T. vinegar
½ t. dried thyme
2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 celery rib, cutinto 1-inch pieces
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, sliced
Directions:  In a bowl or bag, combine flour, salt and pepper; add beef and toss to coat.  In a large saucepan, brown beef in oil.  Add cider, water, vinegar and thyme; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the meat is tender.  Add carrots, celery, potato and onion; return to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Yield: 4 servings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment