Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chocolate Toffee Cake

I made this about a month ago and we all really liked it.  Did I mention that I love toffee?  So this cake seemed right up my alley.  There are a few things that I think I will do a little differently when I make this again.  I didn't get the toffee bits and chocolate chips spread through the whole cake it was all at the top, it would be even better if it had, so I am wondering if coating them in flour first might help.  Also I think I cooked it a little too long (I have a dark bundt pan), so watch out for that.  And if I remember right the frosting took a bit longer to cook than the recipe says.  Make sure you let the frosting cool long enough or else all your frosting will be down around the base of your cake.  Otherwise, the flavor of the cake is great and I think it was even better the day after.  A little vanilla ice cream scooped on the side is optional.


Chocolate Toffee Cake RecipeChocolate Toffee Cake
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 55 minutes + cooling
Yield: 12 servings
 
Ingredients:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) milk chocolate English toffee bits
1 c. (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
2 T. brown sugar

CAKE:
1 c. butter, softened
1¼ c. packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
3 c. all-purpose flour
1½ t. baking powder
½ t. salt
½ t. baking soda
1¼ c. buttermilk
 
CARAMEL ICING:
¼ c. butter, cubed
2 t. all-purpose flour
1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
1 c. packed brown sugar
Directions: Combine the toffee bits, chips and brown sugar; set aside.  In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (mixture will appear curdled).  Beat in vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking powder; salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.  Pour a third of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in fluted tube pan.  Sprinkle with a third of toffee mixture.  Repeat layers twice.  Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.  For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add evaporated milk and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.  Cool.  Drizzle over cake. 

(The recipe and photo came from tasteofhome.com)

0 comments:

Post a Comment