Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

I have been on the search for a spaghetti sauce for awhile.  The problem I've found is that most of them are too runny.  I want my sauce sitting on top of my pasta not underneath it.  I want it to be savory and not take all day to make.  Also, I want it to make a lot so I can put some in my freezer for later.  So there is my list of criteria for my spaghetti sauce, is that asking too much?  This sauce fits the bill.  My kids eat it without complaint and it has a little bit of a spicy flavor thanks to the sausage.  If your kids don't like chunks just blend it up.  I even threw in some zucchini because I had some and it's a great way to sneak in some more veggies.  I think it gets better after coming out of the freezer and warming it up, it seems the flavors come together better.  I hope you love it too.
 

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 12 servings (I think it serves much more than that, but maybe we eat smaller portions)
 
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Ingredients:
4 celery ribs, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
2½ c. water, divided
3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 oz. Each), casings removed ( I couldn't find this so I just used a pound of Italian sausage)
1 can (29 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cans (6 oz. Each) tomato paste
½ c. minced fresh parsley
5 to 6 cloves, minced
3 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. sugar
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
6 c. hot cooked spaghetti
Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
Directions: In a Dutch oven, combine the celery, onion, green pepper and 1 cup water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender and water is reduced.  Crumble sausage over vegetable mixture; cook until meat is no longer pink.  Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper and remaining water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve over spaghetti.  Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.



This recipe is originally from a Taste of Home Magazine.  The photo is from www.tasteofhome.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment