Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Deluxe Sweet Potato Casserole

Everyone loves sweet potatoes, right?  Well, I didn't think they were that great when I was younger.  I ate them wanting so badly to like them.  The flavor was good but the stringy texture kept getting in the way.  My mom found this recipe at some point when I was in junior high or high school.  After that I had no problem eating my vegetables on Thanksgiving.  Of course, if you can add sugar, vanilla, and marshmallows to a vegetable and make it taste good, you're golden.  I know there are several versions of this recipe floating around but this is the one I like the best.  To get rid of the stringy-ness you can put the cooked sweet potatoes in your food processor to make it smoother.  But I think mashing them works pretty good too.  Don't forget to keep an eye on the casserole while it is in the oven toasting the marshmallows.  You let it go too long and the marshmallows evaporate.  You can make this the night before and bake right before serving.  They retain their heat really well so blow before you take your first bite.  I hope you like them.  And HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!


Deluxe Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8-10 minutes
 
Ingredients:
3 c. sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
2/3 c. sugar
½ c. evaporated milk
1 t. vanilla
½ stick margarine
½ t. salt
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. pecans
1 T. flour
¼ stick margarine
Marshmallows
Directions: Preheat oven to 325°.  Mix the potatoes, sugar, milk, vanilla, margarine and salt; pout into a 2 quart greased baking dish.  Bake for 30 minutes.  To prepare topping; Combine the brown sugar, pecans, flour and margarine; sprinkle on top of potatoes.  Top with miniature marshmallows.  Return to oven for 5 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment