Friday, November 18, 2011

Lasagna

Lasagna is my favorite food.  However, I am a lasagna snob.  I have tried dozens of different kinds of lasagna and I don't like them.  Few have even come close to being as good as my favorite recipe.  My mother used to slave over this for my birthday every year.  The smell of lasagna makes my birthday complete.  This recipe came from an old family friend, Eileen Day.  It's the lasagna that I compare all other lasagnas to.  This is what lasagna is supposed to taste like.  You don't have to like it as much as I do, still I hope you like it.
 
Lasagna
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes + 10 minutes standing time
Yield: 8-10 servings
Family Friendliness: My oldest daughter eats just about as much as I do, and even the boy who doesn't like cheese eats it without complaint. 

Ingredients:
½ c. diced onion
2 med. cloves of garlic
1 lb. ground beef
3 T. minced parsley (I use dried and always put in 3 T.)
1 T. dried basil leaves
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 qt. Tomatoes, you can blend these, or mash them up a bit
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 pkg. lasagna noodles
1 lb. Cheddar cheese, shredded
12 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Directions: Cook noodles in boiling water with a little oil in it.  While the noodles are cooking saute onion, garlic, and meat until brown.  Add parsley, basil, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and tomato paste and simmer for 40 minutes.  When noodles are done, drain and rinse in cold water.  Mix cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese in a large bowl.  Arrange in greased 9x13 pan in layers, - noodles, meat sauce, cheese.  Repeat layers to fill baking pan.  Top with grated Parmesan cheese.  Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes at 350°.  Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment