Monday, November 14, 2011

French Apple Cake

I really didn't know what to expect when I found this recipe.  It caught my eye because first it would utilize the apples I have on hand.  Second, it has cream cheese in it.  Third, it has a caramel layer.  This came out a little like a pineapple upside down cake, but much better.  It was moist and flavorful and the  optional topping was amazing.  I think you could half the recipe for the topping, but I am going to use the leftovers as a fruit dip.  My husband says to put the topping on the side so you just dip your cake into it.  Ah, a little tip; the recipe says that the sugar and water takes 25 minutes to turn amber.  I burnt the first batch because I cooked it on high and it was done in about 5 minutes and I wasn't watching it.  The second batch I cooked on medium and it still only took a little more than 10 minutes.  Keep an eye on it and don't let it get beyond amber color.  It's not fun to clean up.  Also make sure your cream cheese is truly softened.  Confession:  I usually don't soften my cream cheese.  But for this recipe if it's not soft it won't blend in with the eggs.  Bon Appetit!

RWOP Finalist: French Apple Cake RecipeFrench Apple Cake
Prep: 45 minutes
Bake: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 slices

Ingredients:
1½ c. sugar, divided
4 t. water
4 t. lemon juice
3 c. sliced apples (or pears, or peaches)
3 eggs
1 c. butter, melted
4 oz. package cream cheese, cubed and softened
1 c. all-purpose flour
OPTIONAL TOPPING:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tub (8 oz.) Honey Nut Flavor cream cheese spread
¼ c. confectioners' sugar
Directions: In a small heavy skillet, combine ¾ c. sugar and water.  Cook, without stirring, until amber, about 25 minutes.  Stir in lemon juice and quickly pour into 10-inch springform pan, coating bottom.  Arrange apple slices on caramel in circular overlapping pattern.  In a bowl, beat eggs and remaining sugar until blended.  Beat in butter then cream cheese until smooth.  Stir in flour.  Spread over apples.  Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool 5 minutes.  Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan.  Invert onto a serving plate.  If topping is desired, beat cream until soft peaks form.  Separately, beat cream cheese spread and confectioners' sugar until smooth.  Gradually fold in whipped cream.  Serve with warm cake.

 (This recipe originally came from a Taste of Home magazine)

0 comments:

Post a Comment