Monday, November 7, 2011

Roasted Garlic and Tomato Spread

The holidays are coming.  I am sorry to have to say it, but it's true.  I love the holidays, I really do, but they sneak up on me so quickly and then before I know it they're gone again and I am left with a sad empty feeling.  Of course that empty feeling is not hunger pain.  No indeed.  We are well fed through the holidays.  I do look forward to the parties and goodies.  My favorite of all – a cheeseball and crackers.  Such simple bliss.  But we can't eat cheeseballs all season long, so I found this recipe earlier this year.  I love appetizers of all kinds and this one is no exception.  I love the smell of roasting garlic.    This is so easy to make, although it takes time to roast the tomatoes and garlic.  It went over really well to the gathering I took it to.  I kept seeing people go back for more.  I barely got a taste of it but what I tasted, I liked.  If you want to cut down on the cost you could make your own chive and onion cream cheese by simply whipping a 8 oz. Package of cream cheese with some dried chives and minced onion.  You'll have to figure out the proportions that are good for you.  I hope you all like it!

Roasted Garlic & Tomato Spread RecipeRoasted Garlic and Tomato Spread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Roasting Time: 30-35 minutes
Family Friendliness: I am not sure if any of my kids ate this, there were a lot of other things to eat.  But I can't imagine they would turn their noses up at it.  Let me know if your kids like it.

Ingredients:
2 whole garlic bulbs (not cloves, bulbs)
3 t. olive oil, divided
3 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 carton (8 oz.) spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
¼ t. Italian seasoning
¼ t. salt
Directions:Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves).  Cut tops off of garlic bulbs; brush each with ½ t. oil.  Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil.  Place garlic and tomatoes in a foil-lined 9-inch square baking pan.  Brush tomatoes with remaining oil.  Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until garlic is softened.  Cool, for 10-15 minutes; squeeze garlic into a small bowl.  Drain any liquid from tomatoes; chop and add to garlic.  Stir in the cream cheese, Italian seasoning and salt.  Serve with your favorite crackers and/or snack breads. 

 (This recipe is originally from a Taste of Home magazine, photo from www.tasteofhome.com)

1 comments:

Don and Kelsi Fryberger said...

This sounds delish...I love holiday recipes...which bring me to the idea, you should blog that recipe you use with cranberries, I want that! :)

Post a Comment