Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Frozen Cranberry Salad

Thanksgiving is coming up more quickly than I am prepared for.  But I am looking forward to eating good food and spending time with great people  This is one of the dishes that I am planning on taking to Thanksgiving dinner.  This is not a new recipe, in fact it is probably one of the oldest recipes that I use.  If you were to stop by a Randall home on Thanksgiving you would probably find this lovely pink frozen treat on your plate.  I love the sweet/tart flavor.  It is fantastic with poultry and pork.  Not to mention it needs to be made ahead of time, who doesn't need that on Thanksgiving?  Kids gobble this up, no pun intended and I bet you will too.  This works best if you have a food processor.  You can use a blender but it's a bit sticky and takes longer.  My mom used to use a hand meat grinder, which I still think works the best.

Frozen Cranberry Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes + standing and freezing time
Cook Time: None – Hooray!
Yield: 2 loaf pans
 
Ingredients:
1 pkg. Cranberries
2 c. apples
1 c. sugar
½ pkg. Miniature marshmallows
1 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
Directions: Grind cranberries and apples.  Add sugar and marshmallows and stir.  Let stand in refrigerator overnight or for 8 hours.  Add the cream and nuts.  Distribute evenly into 2 bread pans that have been lined with foil.  Freeze until set, about 4 hours in a deep freezer. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment