Thursday, October 20, 2011

Apple Orchard Pork Roast

I have always loved a good pork roast and this one just jumped to the top of my list.  I just about dropped my fork and knife, it's that good.  It was so moist and was so full of flavor, I just looked at my husband and said, “Mmmmmm...”  I cut the recipe in half and we still had half of the half leftover, so apparently we don't eat the full serving size since the original recipe says it serves eight.  Try it now while the apples are in season.  I might skip the turkey this Thanksgiving and go for this instead.  Just kidding. I can't do that, I am just too traditional.  But try this anyway, it's delicious.  But if you're going to store your bottle of sparkling cider in the fridge don't lay it on its side or it will explode all over your fridge.  Learn from my mistake. 

Apple Orchard Pork Roast
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1¼ hours + standing
Yield: 8 servings (1 cup sauce)
Family Friendliness: All of my kids literally gave this 2 thumbs way way up. 
 
Ingredients:
1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 lbs.)
1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper
6 fresh sage leaves
3 fresh rosemary sprigs
3 fresh thyme sprigs
3 large tart apples, cut into wedges
2 medium onions, cut into chunks
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¼ c. butter, cubed
1 and 2/3 c. sparkling apple cider, divided
1 T. soy sauce
¼ c. sour cream
Directions: Place roast in a shallow roasting pan; rub with garlic halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Top with herbs.  Arrange the apples, onions and sliced garlic around roast; dot with butter.  Combine 1 cup cider and soy sauce; pour over top.  Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1¼ to 1 ½ hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with pan juices.  Remove the roast, apples and onions to a serving platter; keep warm.  Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.  Meanwhile, skim fat from pan juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan.  Add remaining cider.  Bring to a boil.  Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream until smooth.  Serve with pork.      

0 comments:

Post a Comment