Friday, October 21, 2011

Holiday Sugar Cookies

I don't know about you but I can't resist making sugar cookies for every holiday.  I like that I can make them any shape for whatever holiday.  Sugar cookie dough is a blank canvas.  My sister is a sugar cookie genius and decorates them better than anyone else I know.  I am not that talented when it comes to decorating, usually I hand the frosting over to the kids with some sprinkles and let the chaos reign.  Then our sweet neighbors usually get the interesting results.  While my cookies may not always look great, this recipe ensures that they will melt in the recipient's mouth.  The addition of cream cheese in this recipe makes them tender and the butter, well butter makes them fabulous.  Did mention that the dough is so very yummy?  Let me know if you like them.  A couple of years ago I used my gingerbread man cookie cutter and turned them into mummies using white frosting and a decorator's tip.  So cute.  The sky's the limit. 
 
Holiday Sugar Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 3 hours chilling time
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes for each batch
Yield: Hard to say, it depends on the size of your cookie cutters.
Family Friendliness: Kids love sugar cookies, and most adults do too.

Ingredients:
1 c. butter, softened ( you can substitute margarine, but they are so much better with butter)
1 pkg, (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 c. sugar
1 egg yolk
½ t. vanilla extract
¼ t. almond extract
2¼ c. all-purpose flour
½ t. salt
¼ t. baking soda
Tinted frosting, coarse sugar, and/colored sugar, sprinkles, or whatever you can think of
Directions: In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg yolk and extracts.  Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.  On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut with a floured cookie cutter.  Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets (I like to line my pans with parchment paper.)  Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown.  Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.  Cook and decorate as desired.

 (This recipe is originally from Taste of Home magazine)


0 comments:

Post a Comment