Friday, October 7, 2011

Roasted Vegetables

It's starting to cool off outside, maybe a little to quickly, but I love fall and all the food that comes with it.  It's time to put the grill on a temporary vacation, although it still gets pulled out a few times during fall and winter.  It's finally cool enough to turn the oven on and these warm and tasty veggies are delicious with a roast or steaks.  Bonus: they are so pretty.  I think next time I make these I will put more herbs and balsamic vinegar.  So taste them and see how you like them.
 
Prep Time: 20 minutes, unless you're faster with a peeler and a knife than I am
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes, it seems like these took a little longer than that so plan accordingly
Family Friendliness: I was surprised at how well my kids ate this but my kids are pretty good about eating veggies.
 
Roasted Vegetables
Ingredients:
1small butternut squash, cubed
2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
3 Yukon gold potatoes, cubed (I used red potatoes)
1 red onion, quartered
1 T. chopped fresh thyme
2 T. chopped fresh rosemary
¼ c. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions: Preheat oven to 475°.  In a large bowl (or a large resealable bag), combine the squash, red bell peppers, sweet potato, and Yukon Gold potatoes.  Separate the red onion quarters into pieces, and add them to the mixture.  In a small bowl, stir together thyme, rosemary, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.  Toss with vegetables until they are coated.  Spread evenly on a large roasting pan.  Roast 35-40 minutes in oven, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned.

(This recipe is originally from an internet recipe site, but I can't remember which one.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment