Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Apple Pumpkin Muffins

Muffins in general are some of my favorite foods.  I love all the possibilities that a muffin offers.  They lend themselves to blend perfectly into any season and almost every meal.  And unlike bread they require no rising and they bake faster (although these take a bit longer than most muffins because the apples have to cook), which is just what I need when I am in a hurry, which seems like I always am.  I make muffins a lot!  These tasty morsels have been one of my two favorite muffins of all time.  They are lovely for fall with a soup or salad.  Warm out of the oven is best, but you can eat them with a glass of juice or a mug of hot chocolate as well.  The streusel topping makes a lot so you don't have to be stingy.  Enjoy!
 
Apple Pumpkin Muffins

Prep Time:  20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Yield: 22 to 24 muffins
Family Friendliness:  We all love them!

Ingredients:
2½ c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1 t. soda
½ t. salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. pumpkin
½ c. vegetable oil
2 c. peeled, finely chopped apples (I've actually stopped peeling mine.  I do not like peeling apples and I can't tell that it matters.)
Directions: Combine first five ingredients in bowl.  Set aside.  Combine egg, pumpkin, and vegetable oil.  Add to dry ingredients.  Stir in apples.  Fill muffin cups ¾ full.  Top with streusel topping.  Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes.
STREUSEL TOPPING: 2 T. flour, ¼ c. sugar, ½ t. cinnamon, 4 t. (NOTE: teaspoon, not tablespoon) butter or margarine.  Cut butter into dry ingredients.  Sprinkle on muffins.


*Tip for making quick breads, including muffins:  They should always be stirred by hand and stirred as little as possible.  If you stir them too much they will not be as soft and you will incorporate too much air in the batter causing holes and what my practical homemaking teacher used to call “chimney tops,” a pointed top that allows steam to escape and we don't want that. 

1 comments:

Alissa said...

I'm pretty sure these are my favorite muffins....they are the only ones I make.

I never have enough streusel....what am I doing wrong?

Post a Comment