Monday, October 24, 2011

Minestrone Soup

This is also not a “new” recipe.  My mother has been making this soup for as long as I can remember.  I also remember really liking it, except that it had green beans in it, so I picked those out.  But as I have grown I have learned to enjoy the full experience.  This makes a large amount so it's good for a crowd.  I love this soup in the fall and winter and it's great with the breadsticks that I posted earlier this week.


Minestrone Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes 
Yield: I am going to guess 10-12 servings
Family Friendliness:  My kids like the flavor of this soup and unlike me they like green beans so they eat this pretty well.
 
Ingredients:
1 lb. Ground beef
1/3 c. celery
1/3 c. onion
½ t. salt
1 (28 oz.) can of tomatoes (if you use whole puree them, I use diced and I don't puree them, you're choice)
1 qt. Water
2 large carrots, peeled, sliced
2(8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
2 c. beef broth
1 T. dried parsley leaves
½ t. basil leaves
1 t. dried oregano leaves
¼ t. pepper
½ t. garlic salt
1 can green beans
1 can kidney beans
1¼ c. mostaccioli pasta uncooked
Parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions: In a large pot, brown ground beef and add celery, onion and salt.  Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are crisp tender.  Drain.  Add tomatoes, water, carrots, tomato sauce, broth, parsley, basil, oregano, pepper and garlic salt.  Bring to a boil.  Cover; simmer over low heat about 20 minutes  Drain the beans and add.  Bring to a boil; add macaroni.  Cook 15-20 minutes until macaroni is tender.   Top each serving with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese if desired.


0 comments:

Post a Comment